Losing a loved one due to someone else’s negligence or wrongful actions is an unimaginable tragedy. In such cases, pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit can help you seek justice and hold the responsible party accountable. Understanding the types of damages available in a wrongful death case is essential in ensuring you receive the compensation you deserve. At Kelley Law Firm, we are dedicated to assisting families in their pursuit of justice, and our experienced attorneys can help you navigate the complexities of a wrongful death claim.
Types of Damages in a Wrongful Death Case
The damages recoverable in a wrongful death lawsuit can vary depending on the specific circumstances of the case. However, the following types of damages are commonly sought in Texas wrongful death claims:
- Medical Expenses: You may be entitled to compensation for the medical costs incurred as a result of the decedent’s final injuries or illness. This includes hospital bills, medications, treatments, and other related expenses.
- Funeral and Burial Expenses: The expenses associated with laying your loved one to rest, such as funeral services, cremation, burial plot, casket, and headstone, can be included in the damages sought.
- Loss of Inheritance: If the decedent would have likely earned income and left an inheritance, you may be entitled to compensation for the loss of that inheritance.
- Loss of Earning Capacity: This includes the income the decedent would have likely earned throughout their lifetime had they lived. It takes into account factors such as education, skills, work history, and future career prospects.
- Value of Services and Support: Compensation may be sought for the reasonable value of services and support that the decedent would have provided had they lived. This encompasses the loss of the decedent’s contributions to the household, such as childcare, homemaking, and other practical assistance.
- Mental Pain and Anguish: The surviving family members may seek compensation for the emotional suffering and mental anguish they experience due to the loss of their loved one.
- Loss of Companionship and Support: Damages may be awarded for the loss of advice, care, companionship, comfort, counsel, love, maintenance, services, society, and support that the decedent provided during their lifetime.
- Punitive Damages: In some cases involving gross negligence or willful misconduct, punitive damages may be awarded. These additional damages aim to punish the defendant and deter similar behavior in the future.
How Kelley Law Firm Can Help
At Kelley Law Firm, we understand the profound impact that the loss of a loved one can have on your life. Our compassionate wrongful death attorneys are committed to providing you with the support and guidance you need during this challenging time. We will meticulously evaluate the details of your case, gather evidence, consult with experts, and build a strong legal strategy to seek maximum compensation on your behalf. Our goal is not only to secure financial recovery but also to bring a sense of justice and closure to your family.
Contact Kelley Law Firm Today
If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence or wrongful actions, seeking legal assistance is crucial. The experienced wrongful death attorneys at Kelley Law Firm are here to help you navigate the legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today at (972) 853-5398 to schedule a free consultation and discuss your case. We are here to support you and advocate for your rights, helping you achieve justice and a sense of closure.